Friday, May 18, 2012

When Marimba Rhythms Start to Play...

Whoever wrote the lyrics "when marimba rhythms start to play, dance with me, make me sway" was literally writing the soundtrack to my soul. Tonight was incredible. I have never heard so much beautiful music. It was vivacious, colorful, and smooth. It was the marimba, which is native to Guatemala. Tonight, at our Guatemalan school, there was a performance by about 12 teenagers: they were playing the marimba. It was raw. The music that resonated in that little school plaza was crystal clear. It was beautiful. I could not help but sway and dance to the song. The songs, the marimbas, and the talent of those young people made me come alive. And the young guys that were playing were spectacular. Apparently, this program that they are apart of is trying to preserve the marimba-goodness. Before graduating from the program, each student must not only be able to play the marimba fluidly, but must build a marimba. Now let me just tell you, these were no Fisher Price marimbas, these were the size of economy-sized cars, which means that is quite a task for these "pobresitos." At the end of the night and many sambas and cumbias, one of the little guys that was playing wanted to get a picture with me and Laura. Then I got a group picture with them. And then a got another picture with my favorite little marimba show-stopper Kevin. It was fabulous :) What a remarkable night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYorZEdoaPU

No comments:

Post a Comment