Monday, May 7, 2012

17 Minutes of HA

Wow, oh wow. Tonight was interesting, exciting, and frustrating all at the same time. See, one of the assignment was to call our host mom in Guatemala. After finding the calling code for Guatemala--it's 502 if you need to know--, I anxiously dialed the 8 digit phone number for Señora Raquel. Then instead of the traditional ring, ring, ring, I heard a beeeeep, click, beeeep. HA, Hola? Hello? After asking for Señora Raquel and having this lady ramble in Spanish, I realized that I am not quite the master of Spanish that I thought I was. Maybe one sentence of what I wrote down to say was actually said. Let's just say that improvised-Spanish is not my forte. Ha. She sent her daughter who spoke some English to the phone; her name was Gabriela. We tried to switch email addresses so we could find each other on Facebook. Somehow, some of the Spanish alphabet just went -poof- out of my brain, making it difficult to write down the bay, erre, and effes, she was saying. Finally, after 17 minutes and a lot of lo sientos and no comprendos, Señora Raquel gave me a good night. I can tell already that she and her family are going to be a hoot to live with. Ojalá ella pueda aydudarme con mi español. Lo necesito. :) Fingers-crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment